» Sales
» Web Designing
» Webmasters
» SEO & Promotion
» Working At Home
» Other Articles
» Affiliate Glossary

Go Back   AffiliateSeeking Forum > Marketing > General Marketing

General Marketing Discuss anything to do with link building and any other general marketing stuff.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 AM

Davis Parker is on a distinguished road
Hi,

The blog comments are very useful in updating the blog which cause crawlers to crawl the website more. But there are lot of chances in causing spam also.

To avoid spams one must use plugins, use update feature of blogs and accept comments only after an e-mail verification.

Avoiding spam can also help a lot in web marketing.

Also commenting on old blogs is also a very good practice.

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:49 PM

Anton Juan is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if a system has been devised to curb the instances of people who spam comments with their links, or for that matter, forums with the same promotional posts over and over.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 PM

Paul Smith is on a distinguished road
Curbing instances of forum spam is the role of the moderator. I don't think you need any complex system for that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 AM

forextradingevo is on a distinguished road
Default Free Forex Tarding Education

Are you using wordpress? If you are, I suggest you install askimet plugin. It helps filter unwanted/spam comments. It has help me a lot.
forextradingevo.com
Old 12-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Anton Juan is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing there are systems in place to detect multiple links used in comments, which violates some forum rules.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 AM

prakask is on a distinguished road
Comments on blog makes the blog dynamic and google bots take it as an active site and give preference to them.It is very essential part of Blog SEO.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Christina K is on a distinguished road
Most people that comment do it to get a link. Lets be honest. If you want readers and subscribers to your blog you really have to leave it open to commenting. Just set it so you can moderate it so that you can allow only the comments that you approve.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 AM

jerry.p009 is on a distinguished road
Many of plugins are available for spam controlling and if you are using wordpress so i recommend you askimet plugin. Its really nice
Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM

JackStoneSEO is on a distinguished road
It depends on the amount of revenue the site is generating.

In my experience, comments are worthless unless you're getting a decent amount of traffic from genuinely interested users. I have a site I started a while back that I got bored of and gave up. It was up for about a year before I gave it up with what I thought was really solid content, but I don't know that I got more than 10 solid comments during that whole year. The rest were "Great post!" or some other worthless comment left just to get a link back to the commentator's site.

On another site in a highly trafficed and engaged niche, it took a good 6 months to get some decent comments and even then, most of them are "how do I do this..." or "I tried what you suggested and my whole site went down, can you tell me how to fix it for free?"

In my opinion, comments are not worth having unless they are really contributing to the article/blog post in some way. If all you have are a bunch of "great article, that helped a lot" comments, you're spending more time moderating than any benefit you're getting from "engagement."
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 PM

rizham is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rizham Send a message via Yahoo to rizham
Allow users to login for comments,this will reduce the most no of spams
Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 PM

AnnieSh is on a distinguished road
If you know some programming though, you can prevent most, if not all spam. There is probably also some mods that can be used for some blog scripts.

For two days some valuable comments and trackbacks were decided as spam and were deleted by that plugin.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:10 AM

jeffhyde is on a distinguished road
Comments on blogs should be heavily moderated. Once one spammers find that your allowing all post's, you will soon be bombarded.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

DaveSpencer is on a distinguished road
I've noticed something with spam. It's very best to keep all spam of a site. If you lets some spam through, then others will notice it and believe their spam may also get through. This therefore is likely to increase the amount of spam you get meaning an increase in the amount of work you'll have aiming to remove it all.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Orange is on a distinguished road
I think people will be more interested to visit your blog if you allow comments. However, you have to weed out spams. Otherwise your blog/site will look very unprofessional.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 AM

asinglelady is on a distinguished road
I think that comments are important, because it gives your visitors to participate in building your blog. You can just place some protection against spam at your blog, I think.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:33 PM

webcreationuk is on a distinguished road
Comments are great for updates, for spam use Akismet (if you are on WP), Captcha code etc..
Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 AM

staceybrown281 is on a distinguished road
Comments are important in one's blog. It's the way the viewer communicate with the writer. However, if you don't want any comments in your blog, you can turn it off.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:39 PM

webcreationuk is on a distinguished road
I think turning comments off is a bad idea, better work a little harder to keep it clean, installing some plugins, but not closing comments...
Old 04-09-2010, 04:59 PM

WalterEmmons is on a distinguished road
If comment counts worth and it is related to the post, then you can approve the comment but if you don't want to give the backlink, you can simply remove from that comment. If the Comments are unique, it helps to boost the page value and because of that, you gets some more benefits.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 AM

kangyuta is on a distinguished road
Is there any good reason from a marketing standpoint to let people leave comments on your blogs?

I have a blog that I left the comments turned off but I see that within a short time of launching the blog, out of 36 comments, only 3 were useable and relevant to my readers. The rest were spam or vulgarity aka garbage.

Should I just delete all comments or does anyone know of a valid purpose for that info?Are you using wordpress? If you are, I suggest you install askimet plugin. It helps filter unwanted/spam comments. It has help me a lot.
I have had a very bad experience with askimet plugin. For two days some valuable comments and trackbacks were decided as spam and were deleted by that plugin. When i say the copy of those comments and trackbacks in my email i suddenly deactivated it. Now it takes time to clear the spam but atleast the valuable comments will not be deleted.

thx for the help ~