XML stands for EXtensible Markup Language. It is much like HTML but it is not a replacement for HTML.The difference between of both is XML was designed to transport and store data, with focus on what data is and HTML was designed to display data, with focus on how data looks.
The main comparison between HTML and XML is that HTML has predefind elements and attributes whose behavior is well specified, while XML does not work. Instead documents authors to create their own XML words that are specific to their application or business or business needs. Another difference between them is given below.
1. XML describes the data where as HTML only defines the data.
2. In XML we can define our own tags as it is not possible in HTML.
3. In XML it is mandatory to close each and every tag where as in HTML it is not required.
4. HTML is presentaton language where as XML is not either a programing language or a presentation language. It is used to transfer data between applications and databases.
5. It is used to transfer data between applications and databases.
HTML is a markup language itself while XML provides a framework for defining markup languages.
HTML is case insensitive while XML is case sensitive.
HTML is about displaying data,hence static but XML is about carrying information,hence dynamic.
HTML is not strict if the user does not use the closing tags but XML makes it mandatory for the user the close each tag that has been used.
1. HTML is static, XML is dynamic.
2. HTML is not strict if the user does not use the closing tags but XML makes it mandatory for the user to close each tag that had been used.
3. HTML is a markup language itself while XML provides a framework for defining markup languages.